In 1916, Greek immigrants Athanasios (“Arthur”) and Efrosini Demoulas opened a grocery store in Lowell, Massachusetts, specializing in fresh lamb. In 1954, they sold their store to two of their six children, Telemachus (“Mike”) and George Demoulas. Within 15 years, the two brothers had transformed their parents’ “mom and pop”-style store into a more modern supermarket chain consisting of 15 stores.
122 Sawyer St,
New Bedford MA 02746